SAFETY AND SECURITY
Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, occurs. There are also incidents of violent crime, including armed robbery and sexual assault.
- Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times
- Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution, especially when walking alone, even during the day
- Avoid isolated or poorly lit areas, especially on beaches
- Keep your car doors locked, windows rolled up, and personal belongings, including handbags, safely stored at traffic lights, where you could be a target for thieves
- Don’t leave valuables unattended on the beach
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash or jewellery
- Always lock and secure your hotel room doors and windows
Demonstrations take place from time to time.
Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation.
- Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations
More about mass gatherings (large-scale events)
SPIKED FOOD AND DRINKS
Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances. These items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.
Roads are narrow and poorly lit in rural areas.
Road signs are rare. There are many pedestrians and cyclists, and few sidewalks.
Roadside assistance is not widely available.
Bridgetown, the capital, is a cruise ship stop.
Advice for Cruise Travellers
Coastal waters can be dangerous.
- Exercise caution when swimming, due to strong undertow, especially on the Atlantic Ocean side of the island
- Follow the instructions and warnings of local authorities
- Respect the flag warnings, which provide notice of water conditions and safety risks on beaches
Buses and vans are often crowded and travel at high speed.
Taxis are generally safe and reliable. Only use licensed taxis and take particular care late at night.
Taxis don’t use meters. There are standard taxi fares for most destinations. Negotiate the price before you get in or confirm the fare with the driver before departing.
We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.
General information about foreign domestic airlines