GENERAL TIPS FOR ALL TRAVELERS
You have dreamed of spending idyllic holidays with your family in a paradise destination for a long time. Finally, you booked your stay, and you are ready to escape your everyday routine ! But be aware that successful holidays need to be planned ahead, and traveling involves a whole list of issues you need to foresee. The most important things to take into account are your health, and the health of your children.
BEFORE YOUR DEPARTURE
Before your departure, make sure you don’t forget :
- to pack a complete medical kit in your luggage, containing first aid supplies, analgesic drugs, medications for allergies, medicines for diarrhea, insect repellent and sunscreen, as well as your eventual specific treatments.
- to see your doctor, especially if you have health problems and you follow a specific treatment. Your physician will prescribe you enough medicines to cover the duration of your holidays and will give you a prescription if you need to purchase some medicines during your stay.
- subscribe a good health insurance. Choose a contract including evacuation and repatriation, and make sure that you are fully covered in your country of destination.
WHILE ON A PLANE OR ON A BOAT
Plane is the most convenient mode of transportation for long travels. But keep in mind that some precautions must be taken for a safe flight. If possible, choose a seat in the front of the plane, as the ventilation and the ambient air are of better quality in this area. Regularly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or with water and soap, especially after going to the bathroom. Clean your tray table and your armrests with antiseptic wipes as well.
If you choose to spend your holidays on a cruise boat, be aware that many microbes may be present on the ship, and that infections are a real threat. Choose a reliable cruise company, and always have good hygiene practices while on-board.
DURING YOUR HOLIDAYS
After a long travel, you finally arrived at your destination ! For unforgettable holidays, don’t forget to follow these general tips :
- When you arrive at your accommodation, check the bed, the bedding and the nearby furniture for bedbugs before using your room. Don’t put your luggage on the floor or on the bed until you are sure there are no bedbugs.
- During the first days, fight the bad effects of jet lag : drink a lot, have a balanced diet and immediately adapt your lifestyle to the local time zone.
- To start the day on the right foot, always have a healthy breakfast, rich in proteins.
- Remain careful about the food and water you consume to avoid food poisoning and food-related diseases, like traveler’s diarrhea. Notably avoid consuming raw meat, fish, eggs and seafood, unsafe water, ice and street food.
- Have good hygiene practices and frequently wash your hands.
- Keep exercising every day : walk, swim, dance…
- Protect yourself against the sun : wear protective clothes, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Stay hydrated and regularly drink water.
- Protect yourself against insect bites, especially mosquitoes.
- Be gentle with yourself ! Avoid stressful schedules and instead, enjoy and relax…