SAFETY AND SECURITY
Although violent crime is rare, personal attacks, including sexual assault and rape, do occur.
Petty crime, such as purse snatching and pickpocketing, occurs.
Thieves particularly target public transportation and areas frequented by tourists, such as stores and markets in Valletta and Marsaxlokk, beaches, and the nightclub areas of Paceville, in San Ġiljan and in Sliema.
- Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times
- Keep valuables and luggage out of sight in vehicles and on beaches
There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorist attacks have occurred in a number of European cities. There is a potential for other violent incidents.
Targets could include:
- government buildings, including schools
- places of worship
- airports and other transportation hubs and networks
- public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners
Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places.
Coastal waters can be dangerous. Riptides are common.
Follow the instructions and warnings of local authorities.
Specific dates for the hunting season are determined by the government in the lead-up to the season. It generally runs from the spring until the fall.
Hunting areas, which are rarely marked, often overlap with camping areas.
Be vigilant if you visit a rural area during hunting season, as accidents involving stray bullets have occurred.
Traffic drives on the left.
Narrow, winding, congested and sometimes poorly maintained roads may pose hazards.
Drivers do not respect traffic laws and do not follow safe driving practices.
- The Highway Code of Malta – Transport Malta
- More about driving in Malta – European Commission
Travel by taxi is safe.
Taxi fares are regulated and mandatory. They may be paid at authorized taxi booths or calculated using a taxi meter.
Taxis and Electric Mini Cabs – Transport Malta
We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.
General information about foreign domestic airlines